Thursday, May 24, 2007

Some of my Favorite Peoms

What a Grieving Mother Really Thinks
by Kelly Cummings

Hello old friend,
Oh yes you know
I lost my child a while ago.
No, no please
Don’t look away
And change the subject
It’s ok.
You see at first I couldn’t feel,
It took so long, but now it’s real.
I hurt so much inside you see
I need to talk,
Come sit with me?
You see, I was numb for so very long,
And people said, “My, She is so strong.”
They did not know I couldn’t feel,
My broken heart made all unreal.
But then one day, as I awoke
I clutched my chest, began to choke,
Such a scream, such a wail,
Broke from me..
My child! My child!
The horror of reality.
But everyone has moved on, you see,
everyone except for me.
Now, when I need friends most of all,
Between us there now stands a wall.
My pain is more than they can bear,
When I mention my child,
I see their blank stare.
“But I thought you were over it,”
Their eyes seem to say,
No, no, I can’t listen to this, not today.
So I smile and pretend, and say, “Oh, I’m ok”.
But inside I am crying, as I turn away.
And so my old friend, I shall paint on a smile,
As I have from the start,
You never knowing all the while,
All I’ve just said to you in my heart.


A Mother's Grief
by
Kelly Cummings

You ask me how I'm feeling,
but do you really want to know?
The moment I try telling you
You say you have to go

How can I tell you,
what it's been like for me
I am haunted, I am broken
By things that you don't see

You ask me how I'm holding up,
but do you really care?
The second I try to speak my heart,
You start squirming in your chair.

Because I am so lonely,
you see, no one comes around,
I'll take the words I want to say
And quietly choke them down.

Everyone avoids me now,
Because they don't know what to say
They tell me I'll be there for you,
then turn and walk away.

Call me if you need me,
that's what everybody said,
But how can I call you and scream
into the phone,
My God, my child is dead?

No one will let me
say the words I need to say
Why does a mothers grief
scare everyone away?

I am tired of pretending
as my heart pounds in my chest,
I say things to make you comfortable,
but my soul finds no rest.

How can I tell you things
that are too sad to be told,
of the helplessness of holding a child
who in your arms grows cold?

Maybe you can tell me,
How should one behave,
who's had to follow their childs casket,
watched it perched above a grave?

You cannot imagine
what it was like for me that day
to place a final kiss upon that box,
and have to turn and walk away.

If you really love me,
and I believe you do,
if you really want to help me,
here is what I need from you.

Sit down beside me,
reach out and take my hand,
Say "My friend, I've come to listen,
I want to understand."

Just hold my hand and listen
that's all you need to do,
And if by chance I shed a tear,
it's alright if you do too.

I swear that I'll remember
till the day I'm very old,
the friend who sat and held my hand
and let me bare my soul.


Kelly Cummings
12/8/03



SORROW IS HER DAILY FARE

She looked into the mirror and
it's a stranger that she saw.
The cold blank eyes, the wrinkled hand,
she knows this girl no more.

She aged so on that warm [April] day
as she told her son goodbye,
for he had traveled in harms way,
but why did he have to die?

The [dark brown] eyes that looked at her
from the mirror on the wall
looked straight ahead and could only stare
for they'd lost love most of all.

The skin is pinched now from the tears
that flow more every day
the face looked older than it's years,
grief does that...that's it's way.

The girl that was his Mother
now looks so old and worn.
she has only his memories
that began when he was born.

Now sorrow is her daily fare
and a blankness in her eyes,
it's from a death she cannot bear....
it's when a dear son dies.

Maureen Elliott
for her
son, Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Roseane,
I came across your site quite by accident and I just read about what happened to your dear Tony. I'm so, so very sorry. I lost my son as well when he was 21, so I understand the pain. Tony is such a handsome boy, and sounds like he was a wonderful son and brother. I'm so sorry for what happened. I wanted to say thank you as well, because I see that you put several of my poems on your site. I was so surprised. I guess we really DO all share the same feelings.

Bless you, and your family- and remember that Tony loves you ALWAYS our sons will be waiting for us with big hugs and smiles on the day that we go home too. Our darling sons are never far away.

Much love-
Kelly Cummings
For Grieving Moms
http://www.geocities.com/for_grieving_moms/index.html